After my glass of warm water with lemon, two stimulating mugs of green tea are
must-haves for me each morning.
Green tea gives me just the kick I need to kickstart my day–especially because I am not
a natural “morning person”–although I am still working on that!
In fact, it’s always on my list of New Year Resolutions–year after year after year!
Since I love green tea so much, today I decided to allow two cups of freshly-brewed organic
organic green tea to cool off for a while so I could use it as a liquid base for my daily smoothie.
The health benefits of organic green tea are pretty extensive due to the wealth of nutrients.
“Many people refer to green tea as a super food
and believe it has exclusive healing powers.
However, the secret of green tea’s success isn’t
some mythical healing powers – it’s good
Key Nutrients In Green Tea
When it comes to health and fitness, green tea is an absolute powerhouse.
It keeps your blood healthy, it fights cancer, it ensures that your heart is pumping strong and
it can even help you lose weight.
As a result, many people refer to green tea as a super food and believe it has exclusive healing
However, the secret of green tea’s success isn’t some mythical healing powers – it’s good
Green tea is loaded with polyphenols, vitamins and minerals which can all be found in other
foods and drinks.
The difference is that green tea contains an optimal blend of all these nutrients and as a result,
has a much stronger effect on your health than many other foods and drinks.
Let’s take a deeper look at the nutrients that make green tea so special and discussing how
each one boosts your health.
Polyphenols In Green Tea
The polyphenols are a group of powerful nutrients that are mainly found in tea.
Green tea contains particularly high levels of polyphenols and these are believed to be the
main reason green tea has such a positive effect on human health.
The list below discusses the main polyphenols that can be found in green tea:
1) Epigallocatechin Gallate: Epigallocatechin gallate is the most powerful nutrient in green tea.
It’s an effective anti-inflammatory and antioxidant which also protects you from arthritis, cancer,
diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure and much more.
2) Epicatechin Gallate: Epicatechin gallate is another potent polyphenol that can be found in
every cup of green tea.
Not only is it a powerful antioxidant but it also protects your skin from ultraviolet damage and
3) Gallocatechol: Gallocatechol is a powerful antioxidant in green tea.
Research on this nutrient is still in the early stages but initial studies suggest it may be able to
strengthen your immune system and protect against a range of health disorders including arthritis,
cancer and heart disease.
4) Epicatechin: Epicatechin is a health boosting antioxidant which can strengthen your heart,
keep your blood glucose levels stable and help diabetics manage their condition.
5) Catechin: Catechin is a powerful antioxidant that acts in a protective capacity and keeps you
safe from Alzheimer’s disease, cancer and hepatitis.
6) Thearubigins: Thearubigins are potent antioxidants that keep your body safe from dangerous
Provisional evidence suggests they may also fight cancer and treat diabetes.
Vitamins In Green Tea
Vitamins are essential nutrients that your body needs to survive.
They boost your immune system, keep your vital organs healthy, protect against chronic diseases
and much more.
Green tea contains a number of vitamins which further enhance its health boosting properties.
The list below highlights the vitamins that can be found in green tea:
1) Vitamin A: Like the polyphenols, vitamin A is also a powerful antioxidant.
Its main role is to support healthy vision but it also strengthens the immune system, helps
you grow, boosts the reproductive system and much more.
2) Vitamin B5: Vitamin B5’s main function in the body is to break down food for energy.
In addition to this, it promotes proper wound healing, helps your body produce red blood cells,
keeps your cholesterol levels under control and much more.
3) Vitamin C: Vitamin C is probably the most famous of the 13 vitamins.
It’s an extremely powerful antioxidant and its main role is to help your body produce collagen.
It also has further health benefits such as protecting against cancer, strengthening your eyes,
boosting your immune system and much more.
4) Vitamin D: Vitamin D is often referred to as the sunshine vitamin because unlike most other
vitamins, your body can produce it when exposed to sunlight.
Its main function is to build strong bones and teeth by helping your body absorb calcium and
5) Vitamin E: Vitamin E is another seriously powerful antioxidant which acts in a protective
capacity throughout your body. It keeps you safe from chronic disease, protects your vital
organs and much more.
6) Vitamin K: Vitamin K’s main role in the body is to assist blood clotting and it is an essentia
l part of the wound healing process.
Minerals In Green Tea
Minerals are another group of essential nutrients that provide further support to your body.
Their roles include keeping fluid levels balanced, helping your body absorb minerals, removing
waste materials and much more.
The list below outlines the minerals that can be found in green tea:
1) Chromium: Chromium has a range of positive effects in the human body.
It boosts your metabolism, keeps your immune system strong, helps diabetics control their
condition (by regulating blood glucose and insulin levels) and much more.
2) Manganese: Manganese’s main role in the body is to activate enzymes and allow them to
It also supports healthy digestion, boosts your nervous system, keeps your reproductive system
healthy and much more.
3) Selenium: Selenium is another powerful antioxidant which also has a long list of health benefits
It enhances your immune system, prevents cancer, keeps your heart healthy and early studies
suggest it may even be able to prevent HIV.
4) Zinc: Zinc is a powerful antioxidant that supports all round good health.
Some of its many benefits include promoting proper digestion, protecting against cancer, boosting
your brain, strengthening your bones and brightening your skin
Makes 2 large servings
3 cups of brewed organic green tea, cooled
2 cups of organic raspberries – fresh or frozen
1 cup of fresh pineapple, sliced into smaller chunks
2 organic bananas
1 cup organic carrots, sliced into small chunks
1/2 organic avocado
3 scoops Orgain Vegan Protein Powder
Add all of the ingredients to your high-speed blender. I use a VitaMix.
Blend until smooth.
Taste and add a few filtered water ice cubes, if needed, for a cooler smoothie.
Pour into 2 mason jars.
Drink one immediately and save one for later the same day.
Are you a fan of green tea?
Have you used green tea in your smoothies?
Share your thoughts and comments with us.