Kale is one of my ‘go-to’ superfoods for a number of powerful reasons.
• eases lung congestion and is beneficial to the stomach, liver and immune system.
• contains lutein and zeaxanthin, which protect the eyes from macular degeneration.
• contains indole-3-carbinol, a chemical which boosts DNA repair in cells and
appears to block the growth of cancer cells.
• is a good source of sulforaphane (particularly when chopped or minced),
a chemical with potent anti-cancer properties.
• is an excellent source of calcium, iron, vitamins A and C, and chlorophyll.
• is very high in beta carotene, vitamin K, vitamin C, and rich in calcium.
• contains bile acid sequestrants, which have been shown to lower cholesterol
and decrease absorption of dietary fat.
Now that’s a mouthful of nutritional benefits, wouldn’t you say?
Boiling decreases the level of sulforaphane, that’s why I love to eat it raw as a
marinated salad or blended into smoothies; however, steaming, microwaving,
or stir frying do not result in significant loss.
There are many ways to prepare raw kale salad. To me there are no limits to
the variations I have explored. Try making this savory marinated version,
for a tasty nutrition-packed dish.
Raw Kale Shiitake Mushroom Salad
1 bunch of organic kale, sliced thin
1 organic red pepper, diced small
1 organic red onion, diced small
2 organic scallions, sliced thin
10 shiitake mushrooms, sliced thin
Organic sesame seed seasoning, sprinkle to taste
A pinch of sea salt
Juice of 3 organic lemons
2 tbspns organic, raw apple cider vinegar
2 tbspns organic flaxseed oil
Place kale, onion, scallions, mushrooms, red pepper into a bowl.
Add sea salt, sesame seed seasoning, lemon juice, vinegar, and flaxseed oil and toss well.
Massage and mix the kale salad mixture thoroughly with clean hands to break down the
fibers and blend the seasonings into the vegetables.
Transfer to a glass bowl, and cover.
Refrigerate the salad and let it marinate for several hours.
In this case, I to served my kale salad with quinoa, avocado slices, raw marinated
mushrooms, sliced scallions or whatever compatible flavors I could find in my refrigerator.
The massaged, marinated kale becomes so tender, you won’t believe it’s raw!
Have you made raw kale salads? What is your favorite recipe? Share your comments below.
Sharing is caring. Feel free to share this recipe with friends, family, fans and followers.